This morning I am thinking about the time I was driving back home to St. Pete from Miami. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, so I had the windows down and I was singing out loud along to the music on my cassette tape. The traffic was relatively light, so I was making very good time. It was not until I got off Alligator Alley that it became necessary for me to slow down and, eventually, stop. It was not until then, with other cars around me, that I could hear the NOISE. I cast a sideways look at the man in the car to my left, judging him in my mind. “Seriously, dude, you need to get that car checked out. It’s so loud and annoying.” I took the first opportunity to speed up and put as much distance between my car and his as I could. At the next stop, however, there was the noise again…loud, rattling, and obnoxious. I looked around, wondering whose car it was this time. Then it hit me. The noise was actually coming from my car. It was me! By God’s grace, I made it home safely that day having learned two important lessons. The first was to have my oil checked and changed regularly. The second was to stop being so quick to criticize and blame other people for the things that annoy me. Truth be known, most of my aggravations and irritations emanate from a source within—namely, my own pride, insecurities, or ignorance. I pray for wisdom and humility to always practice self-reflection rather than judgment.
Original post date: July 29, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment