Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day Dreams

This morning I am thinking about dreams. A friend gave me a wonderful, two-sided journal for my birthday. On one side, it says “Night Dreams.” In it, I have recorded images and impressions that emerged while I slept. As I leafed through the pages today, I marveled at the variety of dreams I’ve captured. There’s a bit of everything—from meeting Denzel Washington to foreseeing someone’s termination from work. If I flip the journal over, the other side says “Day Dreams.” In it, I have recorded visions and ideas that came to me while I was awake. As I leafed through those pages today, I marveled at how little I had written. I didn’t have to wonder why that was the case. I already knew it was because of The Bear. (“The Bear” is the nickname I have for the spirit of fear that arises to challenge me whenever I determine to take a step of faith.) Among other things, The Bear really does not like my day dreams. Sometimes it just stares at me, daring me to believe or to imagine something wonderful. At other times, it actually speaks in taunting words: “Do you actually think THAT is going to happen?” or “Go right ahead and make a fool of yourself.” The Bear also laughs at me when I try hard and things don’t work out. But today I’ve resolved to walk right past The Bear. I picked up my pen and began to write down my dreams, in spite of some rather loud growling. Before I knew it, I had written two and a half pages! What gave me such courage and boldness? It was my remembrance of God’s faithfulness. I reflected on the dreams that have already come to pass by His love, kindness and grace. As my focus increasingly shifted from my fear to His faithfulness, the clearer it became. My God-given dreams are about much more than me and The Bear. In the fulfillment of my dreams there lies liberation, enlightenment, healing, restoration, and hope for OTHERS. (I couldn’t really see them before, hidden behind The Bear.) I’m going to queue up Aerosmith on my iTunes for today’s theme song: Dream On!

Original post date:  August 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment