Saturday, August 25, 2012

Getting "There" By Faith

This morning I am thinking about a time when I was studying abroad. The class I was taking—“The Lively Arts in London”—required me to be able to get to a variety of theaters and other venues. Therefore I had to quickly become proficient at navigating my way around unfamiliar places. I rose to the challenge, often venturing out with a map to explore. So I was feeling quite confident when I set out one Sunday morning to visit a church in Northumberland Park. I took the Underground, just as I had done when I made a trial run earlier in the week. As I was relaxing and enjoying the ride, I didn’t anticipate that the train had a different schedule for Saturday and Sunday. On the weekends, it only went part of the way to my desired destination. I could have just received this as some kind of sign, taken a train back, and enjoyed a Sunday off. But if I really wanted to go to church, I would have to walk the rest of the way. I exited the train tentatively and looked around, trying to get my bearings. Within minutes, I was approached by a man. He was donned in old, tattered clothes and worn out shoes. His coat looked threadbare, and I felt sorry for him in the January cold. His gait was a bit wobbly, as if he had been sleeping…or maybe drinking. I felt certain he was going to ask me for money. But he didn’t. He asked, “Miss, where are you going?” I told him I was going to church. Looking at my purse, he asked, “Do you know where you are? You’re in (expletive) Tottenham!” I had no prior reference for the significance of this, but I was suddenly rather concerned. Then he said, “Come on. I’ll walk with you.” And he did, all the way. Never once did he ask for money. I believe the memory of this experience has come back to me today to alert me to two things. First, I have entered a season in which I must understand that my thoughtful, intentional plans will take me only so far toward my destiny. If I really want to go all the way there, I am going to have to step off the train of comfort and predictability to WALK IN FAITH. Secondly, as I walk in faith, God may send me help from the most unexpected persons and places. When this happens, I should not fear or despise this assistance. Rather, I should trust that since it is from His hand, it is for my good. So I give thanks for the “rides” that ended sooner than I wanted or expected—those relationships and other supports that have run their intended course. I pray now for grace to discern and embrace the guidance and protection He will provide to escort me into the fulfillment of my heart’s desires and purpose.

Original post date:  August 18, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment