Saturday, August 25, 2012

Exposing the Un-Rotten (Another Lesson About Waiting)

This morning I am thinking about how I always enjoyed planting seeds with my students, so they could see how the process they had read about in the science book actually happened in real life. All of the children had their own cups and their own seeds. I, of course, also had a cup and seeds for myself. We would each fill our little cups with good, rich soil. Then we’d bury our seeds and place
the cups on the windowsill. We talked the importance of checking each day to make sure the seeds received adequate water and sunlight. Using pictures from the book, we would also talk about what was happening to our seeds while we waited...how they were changing, hidden from our view. It was always so exciting when the seeds began to sprout, some more quickly than others. One year, everybody’s seeds had started sprouting except mine. At first I wasn’t too concerned, knowing that the process often happened at different rates. However, I became more anxious with each day that passed with no sign of life from my little cup. My students were also concerned. Some even offered to give me their plant. Finally, one day I couldn’t stand it any longer. I thought to myself, “I used the same soil. I wonder if I watered it too much.” I ultimately reasoned that the seeds must have been rotten. So, I took my finger and pushed back the soil to expose those rotten little seeds. They would provide for a good teachable moment with my students the next day. To my surprise, what I found beneath the soil were tiny roots extending outward and downward from inside the seed coat, which had opened. There was nothing rotten there at all. As I recall that experience, it appears the teachable moment was actually for me. I may have missed the lesson that day, but I think I get it now. First of all, when I plant seeds of faith through prayer, I need to stop comparing myself to others who seem to be receiving quicker answers. Secondly, I can always go to the Book to remind myself of what is happening to my faith-filled petitions while I wait…how they are being fashioned and prepared for manifestation, though temporarily hidden from my view. Finally, just because there is a delay, I should not assume that something is “rotten.” To summarize the lesson: Sometimes I just need to wait.

Original post date:  August 6, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment