This morning I am thinking about a time when my cousin, Brian, was visiting us from New York for a few weeks while school was out for the summer. Whenever the two of us were together, we always found a number of ways to entertain ourselves, and it usually involved some form of mischief. One particular day, after playing outside, we were both pretty hungry. So, we went inside and told my brother, Andy, that we were ready to eat. He told us, “I’m going to cook something for you in a little while.” Then he went back to reading. Brian and I sat in the living room, thinking that my brother would be getting up at any moment to head into the kitchen. But he didn’t. After waiting for about twenty minutes, Brian motioned for me to come with him outside. When we closed the door behind us, he said, “I’m starving!” I agreed, “Me too!” Then he said, “I have some money. Let’s go to McDonald’s.” Since neither of us could drive (even if we’d had a car), this meant we had to walk. And so we did. Brian had a Big Mac, and I had a Filet-O-Fish Sandwich. We both had fries and a drink. We were feeling clever, resourceful, and quite pleased with ourselves …until we got back home. As soon as we opened the door, the aroma hit our nostrils. “Come and get it!” Andy’s voice rang out. He had been working to surprise us with one of our favorites—spaghetti. I had to quickly make up an excuse for why I wasn’t ready to eat yet, but Brian bravely forced down a plateful to save face. I confess that there have been times when I made my desires known to God in prayer, and He gave me assurance in my soul that He had heard and would provide. Yet, when it didn’t look like He was moving quickly enough, I went to the “McDonald’s” of leaning to my own understanding, where I gorged myself on thoughts and behaviors that ruined my appetite for His perfect provision. But, I thank God for His grace, for second chances, and for new beginnings. Today my heart cries out, “Lord, no matter how long…no matter how ‘hungry’ I feel…help me to trust you and wait on the surprise you are preparing especially for me.”
Original post date: August 5, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment