This morning I am thinking about an unintended blessing in searching for something I thought I had lost. The other night, I couldn’t locate my cell phone for about an hour. I was sitting in bed, reading, when I realized the phone was missing from its usual place on my nightstand. I tend to follow the same routine when I’m looking for something, and the other night was no exception. First I looked in some obvious places, like in my study and in my “chill” room. Next, I looked in some ridiculous places, like in the trash and inside the shoes I’d worn that day. After that, I started lifting and moving things to look underneath or behind. Still there was no sign of it. (I seriously started wondering if my Chihuahua had moved it.) Finally, I started cleaning up clutter, and that’s when I found it! Well, it wasn’t my cell phone, but it was something else that made me grin with delight…something I had lost and resolved that I might never find again. But there I was, holding it in my hand. I took it and sat on my bed, so excited and so thankful. That’s when I looked down and saw my cell phone in a place where I couldn’t fathom how I had missed it before. It was right beside me where I had been sitting in bed, reading. Sometimes when I get caught up in the busy-ness of life, I get the sense that I have somehow lost touch with God, my Source. This is always an awkward, uncomfortable feeling that compels me to begin seeking Him earnestly, desperately…through prayer and His Word. In doing so, I inevitably get to a place where it becomes necessary for me to clean up some mental, emotional, and spiritual clutter. It is there, in the process of seeking Him with all my heart, where He graciously blesses me to rediscover treasures I may have lost along the way—treasures of peace, joy, hope, and confidence in His promises. And, when all is said and done, He reveals Himself and allows me to see that He always was, and always will be, right beside me.
Original post date: August 10, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment