Sunday, August 26, 2012

Going In: A Lesson on How to Receive Blessings

This morning I am thinking about learning how to receive blessings.  Yesterday one of my sisters called me and said, “I know Saturday is your movie night, but I was hoping we could go to Bubba Gump.”  She suggested we have an early dinner so I could still make it to my movie.  When she arrived at my house, she announced, “I’m paying for your dinner this time.”  We enjoyed a delicious meal, great conversation, and (as usual) lots of laughs.  On the way home, she asked if I wouldn’t mind stopping by a particular department store—which happened to be one of my favorites—so she could run in and get some panty hose.  I drove up close to the entrance and told her I’d park and wait for her in the car, but she grinned.  “I want you to come in,” she told me.  “I want to buy you something.”  I could feel tears start to well up when she said, “You know, you do so much for everybody else.  I just wanted to do something for you.”  Her words, so heartfelt and sincere, completely disarmed me.  In that moment, I resisted the urge to say or do something to reciprocate.  I allowed myself to simply accept her gift of gratitude.  I decided not to wait in the car after all.  As I sat before the Lord today, preparing my heart for worship service, I was overwhelmed by the realization of how much He desires to bless me.  It’s not a matter of my being deserving…it’s not because of anything I’ve done or could ever do.  It’s absolutely and completely because of His great grace and love for me.  This morning I can see myself parked right outside the store of His abundant FAVOR and PROVISION, and I can perceive Him speaking sweetly to my spirit, “I have some things I want to give you.  Open your eyes, your mind, your hands, and your heart to receive.”  Believe me, I won't be waiting outside.  I'm going in.      

No comments:

Post a Comment