This morning I am thinking about one rainy, windy day when I had morning bus duty at school. When I got to my classroom, I was a bit wet and quite disheveled. One of my first graders came up to ask me something, but before he got his question out, he paused. With a look of concern on his face, he said, “Miss Conage, you’re having a bad hair day.” Remembering his words in that moment still cracks me up, as much as when he spoke them so many years ago. Rather than being offended by his honesty, I was actually flattered by his unspoken (but implied) message. Apparently, he thought I usually had good hair days! As soon as I had a break, I went to a mirror and worked to straighten myself up. I find that a similar scenario sometimes plays out in my everyday world. The storms of life can affect me in ways of which I may or may not even be aware. The result is not a bad hair day, but it might be a bad attitude day, a bad kindness day, or perhaps a bad joy day. I thank God for the loving, faithful friends He sends to call me out at such times. With sincere concern, they let me know that something is amiss or just not quite right. Rather than being offended by their honesty, I am encouraged to know that they believe I can do better and be better…that I AM BETTER than what I may be presenting at a particular time. So when I’m made aware that I “look a mess”, I pray for a heart to always retreat quickly to the mirror of the Word, where I can be transformed again to the image of His beauty and wholeness.
Original post date: August 19, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment