Saturday, August 25, 2012

Another Time Around the Block (A Lesson About Missed Opportunities)

This morning I am thinking about missed opportunities. While on my way to see a movie last night, I was hoping to find a parking space on the street, close to the entrance. When there are no such spots available, I have to use the parking garage across the street, which really isn’t my preference. As I approached the theater I noticed a premium, empty space right near the entrance, just like I had been hoping. It was as though it had been left there just for me. All common sense dictates that I should have taken the space, but I didn’t. You see, taking the space would have required me to parallel park, and I’m not very good at it. Typically it takes me at least three “ins and outs” to get into a parallel space just right. I imagined how cars would be lined up behind me laughing, honking their horns or cussing me out. I let fear get the best of me, and I kept going. I reasoned that I could find another space…an easier one…one that I could just pull right into. Immediately I regretted my decision not to take the space. As I drove around the block, I resolved that, if my premium space was still there, I would go for it this time. If people had to wait a little while for me to get it right, so be it. When I got back around, I could see that the spot was still there…but not for long. My gut clenched as I noticed the taillights on the car in front of me. He was positioning himself to take the spot! It took him only one “in” to get it, too. To add insult to injury, I had to sit and watch this unfold. As I drove by, I could see that he had the biggest, happy grin on his face like he had won the jackpot. I thought, “That should be my space. That should be my big, happy grin.” I had to go to the parking garage where the spaces were plentiful and easy, but certainly not preferred. Later, I reflected on the times I have foolishly let fear cause me to bypass God’s perfect, preferred provision for me in order seek out something “easier.” I confessed my fear and my pride, and I asked His forgiveness. I felt Him speak to my heart, calling for my unwavering faith that He will help me navigate into the “open spaces” He places before me. It may not always be easy, but it will always be worth it. I certainly can’t do a thing about the past or my opportunities missed. But, right now, I believe I’m going to take another drive around the block.

Original post date:  August 12, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment