Sunday, October 21, 2012

Somebody Bigger

This morning I am thinking about how, as a little girl, I used to love lying on the grass in the yard and looking up at the sky.  For whatever reason, I was absolutely obsessed with the notion of how big God must be.  I think it may have had something to do with hearing Mahalia Jackson’s “Somebody Bigger than You and I” for the first time, but I’m not sure.  I would easily spend an hour at a time just scanning the heavens, trying to imagine distances of height and breadth.  I distinctly remember feeling so very small.  Taking in the immensity of what I could see with my natural eyes, I tried to conceive of the God Who was big and powerful enough to create it all.  I wanted to know this big God, and I wanted Him to know me too.  So, I started talking to Him.  Just like that.  I talked to Him about everything.  In those days of innocent faith, it never crossed my mind that He couldn’t or wouldn’t hear me.  I was convinced that what I had to say mattered to this big God.  Moreover, I felt completely assured that I mattered to Him.  Whatever the issue or situation, when I talked to Him about it, my smallness became encompassed and consumed by my confidence in His awesome power and might.  I believed with all my heart that there was nothing too difficult for this big God to do.  These days I don’t spend time lying on the grass looking into the heavens, though perhaps I should every now and then.  I do, however, spend time thinking about the dreams, goals, and desires God has planted in my heart.  When I ponder their scope and magnitude, I sometimes feel incredibly inadequate, unworthy, and small.  But today I choose to place my hope and trust firmly in Somebody bigger.  Today I will talk to Him about everything.  I will talk to Him until all of my smallness—faults, failures, and fears—are encompassed and consumed by the glory of His mercy and favor toward me.  I still believe, and I’m so glad that there is nothing…absolutely nothing…that is too hard for my big God.

No comments:

Post a Comment