Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Good Mistakes
This morning I am thinking about the potential utility of mistakes. A colleague told me of her recent visit to a school, during which she had the opportunity to observe a math lesson on expanded form that was being taught to a class of fourth graders. As the students were working independently, she noticed that the teacher stopped next to one girl, knelt down, and wrote the letters “GM” on the girl’s paper. Next to these letters, the teacher drew a star. When the student looked at her in puzzlement, the teacher said, “That is a good mistake.” The teacher, then, proceeded to call the other students to attention to share with them this “good mistake.” My colleague shared how, initially, the girl seemed mortified. The teacher first talked about some of the common errors students make with expanded form, and she relayed some reasons why such errors are made. After this, she gave the girl the opportunity to share her thinking…to tell why she had identified the number “20” as “twenty tens.” In the process of explaining her reasoning, the student was able to recognize and correct her own error. The teacher praised the girl for her good thinking and ability to self-correct. At this point, other students who had made the same mistake began erasing and making corrections too. Some of them even admitted out loud, “I did the same thing!” My colleague shared how the girl’s countenance was transformed. While she had just moments earlier been on the verge of tears, she was now brimming with confidence. As I meditated on this today, I saw in this math lesson a powerful parallel to my experience. I understand, from the perspective of a math teacher, that a “good mistake” is one from which misconceptions can be surfaced, future errors can be averted, and learning can be furthered. I know that I have, on numerous occasions, made mistakes. There have been slip-ups, goof-ups, screw-ups and blow-ups. Yet, there has also been a Teacher, faithful and wise, ever observing as I work through the problems and issues of my life. Looking back, I can recall times that I felt a great sense of embarrassment when my weaknesses and imperfections were made evident to others. I wished, desperately, that the Teacher would just deal with me privately and let me maintain a façade of having it all together. But right now I am grateful for the times He has come and written “GM” on me, knowing all the while how He would use my wrongs to make things right. I am thankful when my honest sharing about my faults liberates others to admit, “I've done the same thing” and become empowered to make a change. I rejoice for myself and others who, through the lessons of my falling down, are learning better how to stand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment