Monday, October 29, 2012

An Expert Witness

This morning I am thinking about some of the challenges, tests, and disappointments I have faced and dealt with in my life.  Given a choice, I would likely avoid all or most adversity like the plague.  However, as I reflect on these things, a wonderful insight is revealed to me about purpose in experiencing hardship.  One thing I enjoy watching on television is a good court case.  I tend to pay especially close attention when an expert witness is called to testify.  It is presumed that these individuals have specialized background knowledge, education, training, or other qualifications pertaining to a particular matter that the average person might not possess.  The testimony of an expert witness can be pivotal in influencing what a jury believes and, thus, how a verdict is ultimately decided.  Occasionally, I have seen instances in which the testimony of an expert witness was successfully rebutted.  Upon cross examination it was determined that the individual didn’t really have the depth or breadth of knowledge and expertise that was purported.  What I realize today is that the struggles I encounter, endure, and overcome supply me with wisdom, knowledge, and experience to make me an expert witness of God’s goodness, faithfulness and love.  I recognize that there are “juries” all around me…people who are desperately hurting as they deal with issues that are confusing, heartbreaking, frustrating, unfair, or in other ways just plain tough.  On one hand they are being presented a case for why they should give up because their situation will never get any better.  They are exposed to a barrage of negative supporting evidence that suggests there is not a God who cares.  On the other hand, a case is being made that there is, indeed, a God who cares, and He is willing and able to turn messes into miracles.  And, for this, I may at any time be called to give expert testimony.  I don’t want to be a witness whose “story” is questionable or a bit shaky.  I don’t want to be a witness who provides information that is second hand, based solely on things I’ve read or things I’ve heard other people say.  When I share words of hope, joy, and peace with others I want it to be real, genuine and personal.  Even when I am cross examined by fear and unbelief, I want my testimony to be unshakeable, grounded in faith and experience.  So, I give thanks for the trials that are making me an expert witness whose testimony cannot be impugned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment