Monday, October 22, 2012

Power Steering

This morning I am thinking about power steering.  Last night I heard a tell-tale whining sound that let me know my car needs the attention of a mechanic or, at the very least, a bottle of power steering fluid.  The fact that this is on my mind first thing makes me believe that I’ve learned a lesson from the last time.  Last time I heard the whining, I ignored it for quite a while.  Certainly it was annoying, and I surely knew the sound was not normal.  But I ignored it because I could still turn just fine.  That is, until one day when I couldn’t turn it just fine.  I remember backing out of my parking space at work and attempting to turn the wheel to the right, as usual.  I remember the stiffness of the wheel catching me off guard.  I remember the tremendous effort I had to apply to get the wheel to turn, and feeling like my shoulders might be dislocated in the process.  I also remember thinking almost immediately, “I really shouldn’t have ignored that whining sound.”  So, yes, I’ve learned my lesson about the importance of power steering for the safe and efficient operation of my car.  And, in reflecting on this, my mind was quickened by an analogy to my need for the Power Steering of the Holy Spirit to operate effectively and efficiently in the calling and purpose He has for my life.  As with the physical example of my vehicle, I can be certain that there is a problem when I hear myself whining as I navigate the paths for which I am destined.  Whining is not a normal sound.  Rather, there should be the peaceful hum of a heart filled with peace, faith, and confident trust at every turn.  I can also be sure that something is not quite right when I find that I am wearing myself out and exerting way too much of my own vain effort.  His Word comes to mind, imparting wisdom and relief:  “…not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit…” (Zechariah 4:6).  So before I make another move this day, I am yielding myself to the One Who made me and knows the plans He has for me.  I am asking Him to heal and restore that which I have neglected and ignored...the cracks and leaks of broken fellowship with Him.  I am asking Him to clear out the places in my heart that are clogged with fear, doubt, and stubbornness.  I am asking Him to fill me again with the oil of His anointing so that I can go forward as He directs me, flowing in the power of grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment