Friday, October 26, 2012

Light Duty

This morning I am thinking about the power and purpose of light.  When I awake for my quiet time each morning, the house is usually dark and still.  Since I’m familiar with the layout of the house, I can navigate my way around pretty well, even in the dark, while I pray.  In fact, my eyes will eventually begin to adjust.  But there is only so much I can do in the dark, because there’s only so much I can see in the dark.  When it is time to look into the Word and to do my journaling, it becomes necessary for me to turn on the bedside lamp.  Most times, this privilege of having access to light whenever I want it is something I take for granted.  It’s not something I ever really think about, except during a power outage when I’m feeling inconvenienced.  Two ideas strike me as significant today:

1) I know the difference between light and darkness.
2) For the most part, I get to choose in which of these two conditions I wish to be.

These things are true, at least in a physical sense.  In a spiritual sense, however, I have learned that darkness can be both deceptive and devastating.  Spiritual darkness is deceptive in that it conveys a very convincing illusion of being light, especially for those who have walked in it for a long time.   It assures its unsuspecting captors that they are enlightened, when in reality the eyes of their hearts and minds have simply adjusted to the prolonged absence of light.  They don’t know the difference.  Spiritual darkness can be devastating in that it binds and blinds…rendering those who walk in it unable to SEE.  Some can’t see themselves as loved and valued.  Others can’t see themselves as capable and strong.  Many can’t see themselves as being free from the guilt of their past.  Most can’t see beyond their present, unfulfilling reality to brighter, more wonderful alternatives.  They don’t get to choose.
      
So, today I will be on Light Duty.  In word and deed, I am going forth in megawatt, high beam fashion.  I will command light in the lives and circumstances of those I encounter.  I will declare blessings of life, hope, joy, strength, faith, and love.  I will rejoice for those who will now be FREE to SEE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment