Sunday, October 28, 2012

Promises, Promises!

I am thinking about the words that are written on the back of a picture my brother, Andy, gave me.  He wrote:

“To my dear sister, God has not left your destiny to chance.  Believe His promises.  Big Bro, Andy.”
 
Needless to say, this picture and its prophetic exhortation have become especially precious to me since his death.  Even more precious to me are those faithful promises that are revealed to me as I read and meditate on God’s Word.  My soul takes great comfort in knowing that there is no circumstance or situation so dire or so desperate that it can prevent the fulfillment of any promise I find written there.  There are promises that cover the mistakes and guilt of my past.  There are promises to supply wisdom, strength, and grace for my present.  And there are promises that guide me forward with joyful confidence and expectation of His abundant favor for my future.  Certainly I am not the only one who has ever experienced the sting of disappointment in those who did not keep their word.  In some cases, people have made promises that they never intended to keep.  In other cases, people had an earnest desire to do what they promised, but they were prohibited by circumstances beyond their control.  Many times, I have even made promises to myself that I didn’t keep!  I am so thankful that my destiny is greater than my own fickleness and frailty.  I pray that, today and every day, I will filter my life’s circumstances through the lens of God’s faithfulness.  When I do this, I am reminded that all will be well.  The outcomes are not left to chance.  Instead, I have a choice.  I can choose to rejoice in hope, trust in God’s goodness, and take refuge in His grace.  Day by day, He will guide me as I walk in the power of Love and Purpose.  All I need to do is believe His promises.  And, so I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment