Monday, September 16, 2013

Walking On Eggshells

This morning I am thinking about my unquestioned acceptance of certain conditions and parameters that are often dictated by the words or actions of others.  Specifically, I’m pondering the odd notion that I “have to walk on eggshells” around particular individuals or in a given context.  Time and experience have taught me exactly what the expression means.  It means that I should be exceptionally cautious…that I should probably not say what needs to be said or do what needs to be done, out of consideration for the sensitive nature of a person or situation.  Up until now, I would have simply fallen in line with these expectations.  Today, however, I find myself liberated by a powerful truth: There is a HUGE difference between walking according to the loving wisdom of God and subjecting myself to the canonized bondage of other people.  One approach introduces light and liberation into any circumstance, while the other only produces greater darkness and unhealthy repression.  I’m smiling in amusement as I ask myself some admittedly silly questions.  Exactly how did eggshells get on the floor anyway?  Were some eggs accidentally dropped?  Did someone intentionally scatter eggshells all around?  If so, why?  Is the floor carpeted or hard?  I realize that, when I am made aware of the brokenness surrounding a person (or persons), the point is really not to deliberate about the reasons.  Neither is the point for me to become a participant in the brokenness.  The point is that I should position myself as a conduit for relief and healing.  In other words, I need to be ready to grab a broom and sweep up some eggshells!  Of course, there may be contexts in which the eggshells have become a way of life, somewhat sacred and precious.  In such cases, I must allow wisdom to remind me that I am not called to become entangled by pervasive and oppressive dysfunction.  In such cases, I can exercise my freedom to just walk another way…into a way that is clear of eggshells…into a way of truth and peace.               

No comments:

Post a Comment