Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lost and Found

This morning I am thinking about a show called “I Shouldn’t Be Alive” (ISBA, for short) that I used to enjoy watching on Animal Planet.  Quite aptly named, it featured stories of how different people found themselves in exceptionally dire, extremely dangerous situations, and yet they survived.  The particular episodes I’m recalling were all about people who somehow got lost.  A few weeks ago, I listened to the confession of someone who was truly feeling somewhat lost—spiritually, mentally, and emotionally.  Besides compassion, I felt great conviction from her words.  It occurred to me that the two of us were in different situations, but pretty much the same state.  Remembering those old ISBA episodes today is helping me reflect on some of the lessons I’ve learned about myself over the past twenty-one days. 

Lesson #1:  I don’t have to literally be out in the woods or wilderness to become lost.  The thoughts, plans, imaginations, and questions in my own heart and mind present a complex maze of choices every day, in every moment.  It is so important that I always carry with me the “guide map” of love, wisdom, kindness, and integrity.  When I disregard one or more of these, I inevitably find myself in places I didn’t mean to go and don’t need to be.    

Lesson #2:  Exploring new and different paths can be exciting and enriching; but it is critical for me to discern pursuits of intention from those of mere distraction or deception.  On some level, it makes me feel powerful to know that I am free to choose from a number of paths that may stand before me, wherever such paths should lead.  Yet, it makes me feel free to know that I have the power to thoughtfully, intentionally choose paths of beauty, strength, peace, and grace to which I am led when guided by the compass of my purpose.  

Lesson #3:  The sooner I realize and acknowledge that I’m lost, the better.  I sometimes try to convince myself that I have everything under control…that I know exactly where I am…when I really don’t.  I have to learn to swallow my pride and admit when I’m wandering in an unfruitful direction.  It is only then that I can position myself—mentally, emotionally, and spiritually—to be found.  To increase my likelihood of being found, I have to discipline myself to be still and trust and wait.     

Lesson #4:  It feels good to be found.  The truth is, God always knows just where I am, no matter how lost I am.  When I determine to BE STILL, He promptly reassures me that I am not forsaken.  He refreshes me and revives my hope with a renewed vision of what I am called to be, do, know, and have.  And He sends loving family and faithful friends with their counsel and companionship, to help lead me out.  Being found, I can move forward with wisdom from lessons learned into new paths of favor and grace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment