Monday, September 23, 2013
Mic'd Up
This morning I am thinking about how much I enjoy “Mic’d Up,” a feature of
NFL games in which one of the active players wears a live microphone. I find that it enhances my viewing experience
as I get a glimpse into the confidence, frustration, jubilation, and a myriad
of other emotions that are revealed during the course of a game. I sometimes wonder how closely the words of
the mic’d up players align to the things they might say if they were not
wearing a microphone. I wonder if they weigh
their words more carefully, knowing that they are open to the scrutiny of a
national audience. One question I’m
asking myself today is, “How differently would I speak if I were mic’d up, and others
could hear everything I say in the course of this day?” No doubt, there are some things I might
typically share with my closest, most intimate friends that I’d refrain from
saying if I knew others were listening.
No doubt. But another question I’m
asking myself today is, “How differently will
I speak, knowing that I really am mic’d
up (in a sense) at all times?” I have
come to understand that, even if no one else hears the words I say, I hear
them. This applies to both my external
and internal dialogues, both those things I say out loud and those things I only
speak within the secret place of my heart.
And, oh, the power of my words!
The extent to which they are lauded and embraced, or despised and
rejected by others, is really not the point.
What really matters is that my words determine what manifests in my
life, for better or for worse. My words
may never be open to the scrutiny of a national audience, but they profoundly
and directly shape the course of my world.
So, as I go forth mic’d up into this blessed new day, it is with a
determination to create a narrative of peace, light, and wholeness in every
circumstance. May all who are listening
(especially me) hear words of truth, wisdom, hope, and love…words of Life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment