Thursday, September 26, 2013

Inside Out

This morning I am thinking about a friend who shared with me that she once walked around most of the day at work with her dress turned inside out.  Somehow, she hadn’t noticed this when she left home.  What really intrigued me was hearing about the reaction of people she encountered throughout the day.  In particular, there were several who told her how nice she looked and what a pretty dress it was!  Eventually, though, one of her friends told her, “Your dress is inside out.”  Although she was initially embarrassed, she was quite thankful.  I can only speculate about the reason only one person called the faux pas to my friend’s attention.  Perhaps there were some who really didn’t notice.  Possibly there were others who did notice, but they just didn’t want to hurt her feelings.  On the other hand, there may have been some who thought that’s the way the dress was supposed to be.  Whatever the case, it makes me reflect on those days and times when I’ve walked around inside out.  Not in the sense of my physical wardrobe, but with my actions and attitudes.  My desire and intention is to always step out clothed in kindness, wisdom, patience, joy, and other garments representative of the God I profess to represent.  But, oh, there is a flip side to these characteristics and I have admittedly sported many of them from time to time.  Sometimes I have gone a whole day—or maybe even several days—improperly clad in gossip, cynicism, pettiness, and foolish pride.  Perhaps there are some who didn’t notice.  (This makes me cringe.)  Perhaps there are others who did notice, but they just didn’t want to hurt my feelings.  (This makes me sad.)  And, there may be some who believed that’s the way I’m supposed to be.  (This makes me horrified!)  At the end of the day, though, I have a Friend who will call me out and tell me the truth.  He reminds me to take time to look in the mirror of His Word throughout the day, so I can see when something is not quite right.  He reassures me that when I find myself inside out, all is not lost.  By His grace I can change…be transformed…be renewed.  For this, I give thanks.  Amen.                

    

No comments:

Post a Comment