Wednesday, September 25, 2013

After The Makeover

This morning I am thinking about the time I surprised my brother, Andy, with an “extreme makeover” of his home office.  I had been contemplating it for weeks, and I wanted it to be a big surprise.  It worked to my advantage that he had previously arranged to be in New York for a few days to visit some of our relatives.  So, after I dropped him off at the airport, I quickly headed back to his house and let myself in with my spare key.  He’d just recently had repairs done to the roof, but water damage had taken a great toll in the office, his favorite room.  In the process of making repairs, the ceiling had been torn down.  A sole light bulb peered down at me, protruding from one of the exposed beams.  With absolutely no insulation, the summer heat made the room almost unbearably warm.  Crisscross wood bones played peek-a-boo behind gaping holes in the drywall.  His many, many books were stacked everywhere…on the floor, on chairs, on his desk, and some actually on shelves.  As I surveyed the space, I began to catch a vision of how the room would be after the makeover. 

I solicited the help of my friends Angie and Cliff (and their cousin Willie, who happened to be a contractor).  After two days, the office had been beautifully transformed!  The ceiling featured a lovely fan and light fixture.  Cool air flowed into the room through the now-enclosed vent.  All four walls, notably free of any gaping holes, were freshly painted and trimmed in the earth colors he loved.  His books were neatly organized, some by subject and some by author, on bookcases.  New blinds dressed the windows, and a new area rug covered the de-cluttered floor.  A cozy chair was situated so he could read, watch television, or just sit and listen to music.  Pictures of family and friends accented his desk, where his laptop sat with the printer and fax machine close by.  As exciting and rewarding as it was just taking in all the remarkable changes, the best part was seeing his reaction when he came home.  To say that he was surprised would be an understatement.  He was absolutely delighted!  I remember him calling me later that night and saying, “Guess where I am.”  Playing along, I asked, “Where?”  There was so much joy in his voice as he said, “I’m sitting in my new office!”  I was so happy for him. 

Today I am imagining the extreme makeover my brother experienced when he entered heaven a little over a year ago.  Somewhat like the water damage to his home, cancer had wreaked havoc on his body (or his “earthly tabernacle,” as he would call it).  I can vividly remember the pain of watching his body gradually and continually dissolve into greater disrepair.  But today I am giving thanks for a vision of what he became after the Makeover…after weak, corruptible flesh gave way to eternal, glorious spirit…after death was swallowed up by Life.  It all started a couple of months ago, when I was cleaning out my Yahoo mailbox.  I was quite shocked when I came across an email from Andy.  The subject of the email was “I’m In Heaven,” and it was dated September 27, 2011…the day after he got to see his home office makeover.  In the email were the words: “Dearest little sister, Thanks for reviving my spirit. I feel like I'm back to myself again. I'm on the road again. Love you much, Big Brother.”  Coincidence?  Not a chance.  It is a sure sign that after the Makeover he is now strong, whole, and truly alive.  And I am so happy for him. 

                            

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see him! Both my Dads (bio and spiritual) completely healed and whole from Cancer. PTL! :)

    ReplyDelete