Thursday, October 3, 2013

There Ought To Be A Law

This morning I am thinking about the ban on texting while driving that officially went into effect this week in Florida.  On Monday the practice was just strongly discouraged, but on Tuesday it became unlawful.  I was rather surprised to learn that the fine for breaking this new law is only thirty dollars.  Moreover, one would have to be stopped for some other violation in order to be ticketed for the offense.  I have to say, it doesn’t seem like much of a deterrent to me.  It strikes me as being more of a Band-Aid than a serious ban.  In any case it has me wondering, what is the critical threshold that must be reached before it is determined that “there ought to be a law” against a particular thing?  Because I would like to suggest a ban on being rude, mean, and nasty.  And I say the penalty for offenders should be some kind of sharp, painful zap.  I admit that my judgment is not wholly objective in this regard.  I actually have someone in mind as I’m contemplating this issue.  It’s the man who yelled out his car window, “Stupid f—ing nigger!” as he impatiently sped past me on a two-lane road.  Yep, I would have loved to see him get a zap.  Truth be told, I might have had to take a zap too because I secretly hoped that he’d run into a tree.  Anyway, I think there ought to be a law against malice…a law against reckless, destructive words and actions.  Much like a car out of control, they crash into people unexpectedly, with devastating or deadly results.  It happens all the time, in all kinds of contexts.  Of course, the sobering reality is that no ban (or zap, for that matter) can assuage the deep-rooted ignorance, hatred, and brokenness by which some people’s lives are driven.  This requires a change of heart, which is something no externally imposed law can accomplish.  But I give thanks for being reminded that I am guided by something that is so much greater than any man-made law.  There is absolutely nothing I can do about the recklessness of others.  However, I can walk in genuine peace and joy as I choose to submit myself to the law of Grace.  God knows I need it so much, because sometimes I break this law (like I did with the mean speeder).  The wonderful thing is, when this happens, I can allow myself to be arrested by Love.  In doing so, I am made free again.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment