Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm Just Saying

This morning I am thinking about the wonderful “just what I needed” experience I had at church yesterday.  I was sitting and waiting for the morning service to begin, when I saw my pastor approaching.  I said “Good morning, Pastor!”  With a smile, he said, “I have something to share with you.”  As he began to speak, I was absolutely floored.  In fewer than four sentences, he delivered what I can only describe as a sermon, tailor-made for me.  What he said was powerful in its simplicity, but each word was precious and potent with kindness, truth, and encouragement.  I felt like I could have leaped ten feet (or more) in the air!  It was, unquestionably, a God-moment and a God-message.  I embraced it as God’s personalized greeting card to me, saying, “Mary, I see you.  I understand, and I care.  Trust Me.”  I know my pastor could have been busy doing a number of other things at that moment yesterday.  Yet, he took the time to share a timely exhortation that meant so much to me.  My gratitude compels me to consider how I might do the same for others.  In the “busy-ness” of each day, I often do lots of talking.  I say a lot of things to a lot of people.  But I am not always keen to those moments when I have the opportunity to say something that could change the course of someone’s day…or, perhaps, their life.  In fact, if I were to view a transcript of all the things I say on any given day, I suspect that I might find quite a bit of idle chatter and wasted words.  There’s a scripture (Proverbs 18:21) that is often quoted, or misquoted, within church circles: “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.”  I believe this is true.  And, it’s not just about what I say to myself, but what I say to others.  So today I will be mindful that every time I speak, I can choose to unleash life and light into someone else’s circumstances.  How amazing!  With that kind of power, I won’t withhold when I have the chance to share.  I’m just saying.          

No comments:

Post a Comment