Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I Like Being Here

This morning I am thinking about the time I spent recently with an adorable Kindergartner at one of the schools I serve.  The two of us sat at a table in her classroom, while she ate her lunch.  Between taking tiny bites of her sandwich, she divulged random details about her day and her classroom.  “We read that book right there today.”  (Munch, munch.)  “See those numbers?”  (Pointing to the calendar.)  We use those to count.  But the ones up there.”  (Pointing to the number line above the white board.)  “Those are just for decoration.”  (Munch, munch.)  “I like to write.”  (Munch, munch.)  “We have sight words, but I don’t know none of them.”  (Munch, munch.)  “Well, I know how to read my name.”  (Munch, munch.)   Suddenly, right in the middle of a sentence she stopped and looked up at me.  Her head was tilted slightly, and her expression indicated that she was thinking carefully and trying to figure out the right thing to say.  Then, with the sweetest smile, she simply said, “I like being here.”   And I absolutely melted.  I gave her a big hug and told her, “I like being here, too.”  Even after I left her, she stayed on my mind.  I am hoping that she can hold on to the things that brought a smile to her face during our time together…until next time.  As I sit here today, I realize that my heart is overflowing with the very same sentiment expressed by a 5-year-old child.  I want to pause, look up to my Father with a smile, and simply say, “I like being here.”  It’s really true.  I like being here, where it’s just the two of us.  I like being here, where I can talk to Him about anything and everything, even boldly confessing my ignorance and weaknesses.  I like being here, where I am reminded of His love and faithfulness to me.  I like being here, where I am fully aware that I’m encompassed by His goodness, grace, and favor.  I like being here, where He imparts wisdom and truth to me through His Word.  I like being here, where my mind is transformed and I receive clear vision for wonderful, amazing things I may not immediately see.  I like being here where He reminds me that He is with me and for me, always.  Yes, I like being here.  So, while I prepare to go out and do the work I’m called to do…out where it’s no longer just the two of us…I know that I will stay on His mind.  I will hold on to the things that bring a smile to my face during our time together.  I will draw joy and strength from these things until the next time.          

No comments:

Post a Comment