Thursday, October 24, 2013

Approaching Magnificent


I am thinking about the bumper sticker I saw on a car the other day.  It said: “If some things get better with time, then I must be approaching magnificent!”  I so appreciate the wit and wisdom of people who come up with things like that.  I enjoy trying to imagine the context or conversations from which such clever, humorous thoughts emerge.  Of course I can’t always know the full backstory, but one thing seems apparent.  Some people truly have a gift for putting a spotlight on the positives and the possibilities, regardless of their circumstances.  As I prepare for this day, I am embracing awareness that I also have the power to frame my point of view in such a way.  Truthfully, I sometimes become discouraged when certain hopes, dreams, and desires that I hold in my heart are deferred and delayed.  But, what a revelation this silly bumper sticker has given.  In placing my focus solely on the passing of time, I miss out on something truly wonderful.  That is, I am getting better!  With each passing moment, day, week, and year, I am growing into the fullness of the woman I was created to be.  It is really true.  As I look back, I can see how the fruit of my immaturity...selfishness, impatience, ignorance, anxiety, and a judgmental spirit...are slowly falling away with every passing season.  Such fruit was so small, hard, and unpalatable.  I'm glad to see it go.  In their place, I see the sweet, wholesome fruit of peace, wisdom, kindness, and joy developing.  Yes, I'm getting better.  In fact, I'm approaching magnificent!  And with the manifestation of my hopes and dreams, I will be perfectly prepared to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment