Tuesday, September 25, 2012

This Mourning

This morning, I am thinking about my big brother, Andy, who would have turned 57 today.  At about 5 a.m. on July 2nd, I was awakened by a call from the hospital.  The nurse said that he wasn’t doing well; that we should come right away.  My mom rode to the hospital with me, but the car was silent.  When I got to his room, I went to him and held his hand.  I prayed, and I sang to him.  But he lay silent.  Once the doctor confirmed what I already knew was happening, I walked out of the room, down the hall to the elevator, and out the door.  I sat on a bench and looked up at the sky.  I asked, “Will You do a miracle today?”  But the heavens were silent.  When the crowds started to come to the house, I would slip out to get in my car and take a drive.  Most times I would go to his house, where I would walk through the rooms and remember.  I thought about our talks, the many times we prayed, and how we would make each other laugh until we cried.  I climbed in his bed and recalled how one of the last things he’d asked me, while lying there, was if I was in love.  I wished that I could talk to him about it…wished that I could hear his wisdom and loving counsel.  But the house was silent.  For weeks, I found myself starting to dial his number to tell him something funny or something I thought he’d find interesting.  A few times, I let it go to voice mail just to hear him speak.  But I knew in reality that, on the other end of the phone, it was silent.  For weeks, grief held my heart like a vise, wringing out a flow of tears...seemingly endless and silent.  For weeks, I have wondered and questioned:  “When am I going to really feel okay again?”  I seek solace in my solitude, and I strain to hear an answer.  But still, so far, there is only the echo of this mourning.      

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was incredible MC. Andy would be quite proud of you for writing your thoughts and sharing them in a way that inspires, encourages and comforts others. I pray you and all of Andy's loved ones find peace and understanding and know that he is always with you in spirit and in the great memories you carry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an inspiring message. It is amazing how God is giving you these messages that I know are blessing you but it is certainly a blessing to me (I know so many of us feel this way!) God bless you Mary!

    ReplyDelete