Sunday, September 2, 2012
Flipping the Script
I am thinking about a set of puppets I had as a beginning teacher. The puppets were part of a conveniently packaged curriculum, designed to teach children “appropriate” ways to act and interact through daily lessons. A script was provided for what each puppet should say and do, to model certain behaviors in given situations. I tried diligently to follow the script, although there were story lines and language to which my students clearly could not relate. Outside of the twenty minutes per day that were designated for those formal lessons, I used the puppets to engage my first graders in other ways…from telling jokes, to singing “Happy Birthday,” to helping me share favorite books during our read-aloud time. I would also leave the puppets out, so children could have access to them for learning centers. Most times, students used the puppets to mimic things I said and did. It was both intriguing and amusing to observe how they perceived my mannerisms, attitude and tone of voice. It became quite evident that, in spite of the packaged curriculum, they were learning a whole lot about social interactions from ME. I can admit now that I eventually stopped using the scripted curriculum altogether. As I reflect on this, I draw some interesting parallels to my life. I recognize that a set of daily lessons was handed to me from the day I was born. Not knowing any better, I once tried desperately to adhere to the “script” of a flawed world system that dictated what people could do and should do, and how they should think and feel. I didn’t give a whole lot of thought to what I was modeling for others as I implemented those lessons. But I thank God for GRACE! By His mercy, He has liberated from the script of bondage to mindsets and behaviors that are convenient, but are ultimately false and hollow. He has ordained me to engage with others in ways that are genuine, relevant, and meaningful. I pray that, in spite of the scripts the world may prescribe, He will use me to bring to life lessons that are authentic…lessons that others may desire to emulate…lessons of His great power, favor, deliverance, and love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Inspiring Mary!
ReplyDeleteThanks Zunia. I am grateful that we have a choice to be different and to make a difference.
Delete