Saturday, September 29, 2012
Inside the Fence
This morning I am thinking about the home where I lived as a child growing up. A chain link fence ran around the perimeter of the yard, encompassing our house in the front as well as my grandmother’s house about ten feet behind. Inside the yard, there were grassy places and sandy places. There were coconut trees, mango trees, a cherry tree, and a grapefruit tree. There was a tetherball pole, a volleyball net, and a basketball goal. There was also ample space for a game of kickball, dodge ball, football, tag, or hide and seek. Most days, I was perfectly content and had no trouble finding something interesting and fun to do inside the fence. This was a good thing because one rule was clear. My siblings and I were absolutely not supposed to go outside the fence to play. Moreover, very few children, aside from cousins, were allowed to come inside the fence to play with us. Kids from the neighborhood would often stand on the other side of our fence, some to talk and others to taunt. (Our yard was dubbed “Prison Camp Number Thirteen” by one particular smart aleck.) Every so often, one of the neighborhood kids would ask the question to which everyone already knew the answer. “Y’all can’t come outside the fence?” Something about that question seemed to sap the joy right out of me. I would go from laughter, fun, and happiness to feeling like I was missing out on something. All of a sudden, I would be convinced that I was somehow being unfairly restricted and hindered. As I sat and reflected on this today, a truth became so crystal clear to me. There really was nothing on the outside of the fence except a dirt road. And, if the dirt road was so great, kids wouldn’t likely have been hanging around outside the fence looking at us. I couldn’t help but smile as I thought, “Okay, Lord, I get it.” My mind was enlightened to discern that there is a spiritual fence around my life. The yard in which I stand isn’t called Prison Camp Number Thirteen. Rather, it is called “Purpose." It is called “Destiny." It is called “the Will of God.” Too often I have allowed myself to become distracted and disheartened by voices from the other side of the fence, challenging me with the question, “So, do you have to stay in there?” The honest answer is, “No. I don’t have to stay in here.” But, why would I ever want to come out? One might argue that outside there is freedom, to which I would ask, “Freedom to do what?” Within my sacred, ordained place of purpose I have everything I need, as well as the desires of my heart. Outside the fence, there are only dirt roads of emptiness and vanity. Truth be known, I’ve stepped out there more times than I care to remember. Inside the yard, there is peace, joy, hope, grace, healing, wisdom, understanding, favor, love, and countless other provisions from my Father. These are all mine to enjoy freely, along with those to whom my Father has granted access to share in my purpose according to His own wisdom. I know that I’m really not missing out on anything. I’m not being unfairly restricted or hindered. I’m just protected and preserved, because I am precious. I am content to enjoy my beautiful life inside the fence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment