Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Second Chances: Missed Opportunities Part II

This morning, I am thinking about second chances.  While visiting my daughter and my new grandson at the hospital this week, I encountered an old nemesis…the parallel parking space.  I spotted at least eight of them, sitting smack dab in front of the entrance I needed to take.  Only one space was empty, situated between the first and third car, near the traffic light.  I imagined if I held up cars in this busy location, while trying to navigate into a parking space, it would not be good.  I knew that, if necessary, there were two nearby parking garages I could use.  They were not as convenient, but they were easy.  I circled the block, mentally coaching myself that I could do it…that I WOULD do it.  I could feel myself become increasingly tense and anxious as I approached the space.  I slowed down, lined up parallel to the first car, and turned the wheel to start backing in.  The angle was too sharp.  Had I backed up any further, I would have ended up on the curb, possibly taking out the parking meter.  So, I had to pull back out and try again.  I was mortified, but I didn’t give up.  Again, I lined myself up parallel to the car in front.  Slowly (and more carefully), I backed into my space.  I then turned the wheel to start straightening up as I drove forward.  And, just like that, I was in!  The cars that were behind me simply moved forward…no yelling, no horns blaring, no dirty looks, and no one-fingered salutes.  Before heading into the hospital, I sat and thanked God.  As we communed for a while, He made it clear to me that this lesson was about much more than parallel parking.  It was about having the confidence to know that when He opens a door of opportunity for me, He also equips me with the wisdom and grace to walk in it.  This lesson was about trusting Him enough to claim and receive His promises and blessings, without fear of what others think or how they may react.  He wanted me to know that He strategically orchestrates and presents opportunities for me to exercise faith.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the ordained “spaces” He has prepared and shown me.  Yet sometimes I get scared and think I can’t do it.  I opt to take an easier way, saying, “If it was of God, surely it wouldn’t be hard.”  But while I waffle and waver, He waits.  In patient love, He waits to give me another chance to try, to trust, and to triumph.         

1 comment:

  1. :).Good lesson mom.Princeton wants you to read your blogs too him too.

    ReplyDelete