Monday, July 22, 2013
Sooner Than Expected
This morning I am thinking about how some things in this life just seem
to happen sooner than expected. The death
of a beloved sibling…the ending of a valued relationship…discovering that the
“lint” in my hair was actually a strand of gray. Such events have caught me unprepared, as
they shouted a most unwelcome “Surprise!”
More than once, they have taken my breath away, knocked me off my feet,
and left me feeling quite dumbfounded and confused. One of the hard lessons I am learning is that
that “too soon,” and “too late” are products of my own conception. I guess I’m a bit like the three bears, in
that I’m always searching for that “just right” timing, which is based on my
personal preferences, perspectives, and priorities. Given the power and choice, there are
certainly some life events I would rush to happen sooner. There are others that I would delay for as
long as possible. But as I sit here today,
enveloped in a beautiful moment of awareness of God’s wisdom, goodness and
grace, I am being enlightened. It occurs
to me that my life and destiny are inextricably connected to the lives and
destinies of others, as they are unfolding.
Simply put, the things I experience, whether tragic or triumphant, are
not just about me. Most assuredly, God
has a plan. In the depths of my spirit, I
know that His plan is good. So, enjoying
the fulfillment of purpose in my life is not so much a function of perfect
timing and seasons as it is a result of perfect trusting and surrender. Because sometimes things in this life do happen
sooner than expected. The birth of a
precious grandchild…falling in love… receiving the favorable answer to an
unspoken prayer. Such events catch me
unprepared, as they shout a joyful “Surprise!”
Over and over, they breathe new life into my soul, pick me up with a
boost of hope, and bring me peace through clarity and insight. If I will open my heart to receive and
embrace God’s awesome plan as it unfolds…yes, in the agony and the ecstasy…the conditions
are always be ideal for my growing and His glory. I have to say there is no better time to
start than now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment