Monday, July 1, 2013
Looking At What I Didn't Want To See
This morning I am thinking about the last days I spent with my big
brother, Andy. I had a routine, in which
I’d head over to his house every day as soon as I got off work. I guess I fancied myself as some kind of
sentry whose duty was to stay until at least midnight, even if he’d fallen
asleep long before that. Some days he’d
be waiting for me, sitting in the leather rocker he loved so much. We’d talk, laugh, watch TV, or pray together,
agreeing for things we each wanted and needed. Sometimes he’d become
overwhelmed by fatigue, so we’d move to his room, where I would sit
cross-legged on the side of his bed until he fell asleep. On other days, I’d find him already sleeping
soundly. So, I’d sit in his leather
rocker myself, working on assignments for school. I realize now that he was so tired, but I really
didn’t want to think about it then. I
distinctly remember one day when I walked into his house, there was a great sense
of heaviness. It was eerily quiet, the blinds
were closed, and the house seemed especially dark. In a panic, I flew into his room, where he
was lying in bed. He greeted me with a
weak “Hey” and a smile. Like a maniac, I
started opening blinds and turning on lights.
I walked through the house, going from room to room, praying
loudly. I made bold declarations for
life and light and joy and peace. I ended
my prayer back in his bedroom, declaring that he would be raised up, stronger
than ever, with a testimony of God’s power to heal. With tears rolling down his face, all he said
was, “Lord, thank You for being so good to me.”
I realize now that he was so weak and in so much pain, but I really didn’t
want to dwell on it then. On July 1,
2012 I was once again sitting at his bedside.
This time, it was in his hospital room, and he was drifting in and out
of sleep. I found it impossible to focus
on whatever assignment I was supposed to be completing. I just kept looking at him. During one of his waking moments, our mother
called. “It’s Mom,” I told him. “She wants to know how you’re feeling.” His response was, “Tell her I’m ready to come
home.” I realize now that was getting
ready to die, but I simply refused to accept it then. As he dozed off again, I began to pray
desperately. Pacing back and forth, I
launched words of faith from my mouth, aimed at an invisible enemy that was weighty
and unyielding. After a while, I was
exhausted. I packed up my laptop,
gathered my other belongings, and prepared to leave. It was not yet midnight, but I kissed him
goodbye and left him alone to rest. I
did not imagine that he would enter into eternal rest early the very next day. One thing I’ve learned over the past year is
that true faith is more than believing God for things to turn out the way I
think or hope they should. Faith also
calls for an unwavering trust in the goodness of God’s heart, even when my own
heart is broken. So now, whenever I sit in that
leather rocker, I think about Andy. I
remember his wisdom, laughter, kindness, and friendship.
And today, even through tears, I can imagine him giving me the biggest hug and saying, “Everything
is going to be alright. You will see.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment