Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Out of Nowhere
This morning I am thinking about a memorable (albeit scary) experience
from my childhood. One afternoon I took
a shortcut down the alley behind my house, heading to visit my best friend. I was strolling, casual and carefree. My eyes weren’t scanning my surroundings, and
my mind wasn’t alert to any danger. I
had been up and down the alley countless times, either on my bike or on
foot. But on that particular day,
something threatening awaited me. It
only took me a split second to turn and look, once I heard the loud growl. Being caught completely off guard, I felt
what it was like to be frozen with fear.
A large, snarling, drooling dog was already within about ten feet of me,
and it was closing in quickly. Suddenly
I heard a loud shout: “Get back!” Out of
nowhere, my cousin Bud emerged. He was
wielding a shovel, which he used like a baseball bat to land a mighty wallop on
the dog’s head. As the ferocious foe
made its hasty retreat, I remained standing motionless. But this time I was frozen with awe. Bud was probably 81-years old, but he had
moved with the speed and strength of an 18-year-old! I had no idea how he got between the dog and
me so fast. Where had Bud been? I hadn’t seen him, but clearly he had been intently,
silently watching me. I went to him,
threw my arms around his waist, and thanked him with absolute sincerity. He patted me on the head, and said, “Now go
on.” And, so I did. I smile every time I recall that
experience. It always gives me comfort
and assurance of how very much I am loved and protected at all times…spiritually and
emotionally, as well as physically. Sometimes
vicious dogs of trial and adversity come charging toward me, rudely
interrupting periods of peaceful reverie.
Rabid with the disease of doubt, discouragement, and despair, they bark
and threaten to infect me with their bite.
But, then, out of nowhere God sends deliverance through my family and
faithful friends. Often from places
unexpected and unseen, they emerge wielding kindness, compassion, and
encouragement just in the nick of time. With these and other
unconventional weapons, they put to flight the foes of my faith, hope, and
destiny. Then they tell me, “Now go
on.” And, so I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment