Monday, July 29, 2013
Going to Disney World
This morning I am thinking about going to Disney World. The past few weeks have been rather busy and,
at times, a bit stress-filled. So, I’m longing to do something fun to
recharge. I suppose Disney World might
sound odd, or even a bit silly, as a desired destination for someone like
me, someone who is not a child anymore. But
I’m totally serious. Somehow, after all
these years the place still invokes in me a sense of wonder, excitement, joy,
and hope for dreams come true. Now, I’m
not being completely unrealistic. I’m
well aware that, although Disney World is dubbed “the happiest place on earth,”
not everything is ideal there. For one
thing, I know that before I enter the gates of the Magic Kingdom, I am going to
have to pay a significant price for admission.
And once I’m inside, I’m going to have to pay a high price for things
that are significantly cheaper on the outside.
I know that I am going to have to deal with long lines for my favorite
attractions. Even if I can get a Fast
Pass for certain rides, there is a scheduled time around which I must plan
other activities. I also know that I am
going to have to contend with the elements.
It could be extremely hot, or rainy, or cold. So I need to be prepared to adapt. In spite of all this, I gladly make the
necessary investment of money and time because that’s where I want to be…where I choose
to be. This thought is fueling me with
encouragement and inspiration as I meditate today on another place I sincerely
long to go in my life—to the place of Marriage and a fulfilling love
relationship with my very own Prince Charming.
Of course, that’s not really a physical location like Disney World, but
I find it interesting how some of the same principles apply. I know there is a price I will have to pay
for entry, and it requires the currency of commitment, vulnerability, and
selfless intimacy. Yes, it costs my ego
a lot less to be guarded and self-absorbed, but I want more than this. I know that I am not going to fully
experience all the “attractions” of marriage overnight. Some things will only develop over time, and
there is no Fast Pass. I will have to
practice waiting patiently as we grow together.
I also know that every day won’t be sunshine and rainbows. There will inevitably be inclement seasons
that I must be prepared to weather with him. In spite of all this, I will gladly make the necessary investment of my heart and mind, body and spirit. I
know it may seem odd, and even a bit silly, that marriage is still a heart’s
desire for someone like me, someone who isn’t a naïve little girl anymore. But I’m totally serious. After all these years the thought still
invokes in me a sense of wonder, excitement, joy, and hope for dreams come
true. Much like Disney World, it may not
be perfect, but I sure will be happy when I get there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment