Thursday, April 25, 2013

Stinky Trash

This morning I am thinking about the bag of trash that I inadvertently chauffeured around the other day.  I had placed it in the back of my car, intending to toss it into the big dumpster on my way to work.  Well, at some point after turning the key in the ignition, I forgot it was there.  Perhaps because I was distracted by a favorite song on the radio.  Perhaps because stopping the car to throw out a bag of trash was not a part of my normal morning routine.  Perhaps, just because the bag was silent and out of sight.  Whatever the case, I was in for quite a rude surprise when, later that day, I hurried to my car to head to a meeting at another location.  By then, the bag of trash had essentially baked and marinated for hours in the oven of my back seat, courtesy of the hot Florida sun.  Stinky!  I couldn’t get rid of that bag fast enough.  As I’m praying today, I am intentionally asking to be made aware of the intangible trash I may be prone to carrying around from day to day…such as unforgiveness, impatience, jealousy, fear, and lack of faith.  I know these things don’t belong in my life and need to be discarded.  I also know that, in the busy-ness of life, I can easily become distracted and preoccupied, leaving them unresolved in the back seat of my mind and soul.  Until suddenly it starts to stink really bad.  Interestingly, I was on my way somewhere when I discovered the forgotten trash bag in my car the other day.  I sense in my spirit that there is a greater, deeper parallel.  In my life, I am also going somewhere.  I don’t want to be derailed or delayed by stinky trash.  So, my prayer right now is that I will thoughtfully, intentionally get rid of all that is old, unfruitful, rotten and decaying.  I am on my way to Purpose.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment