Monday, April 22, 2013

Progress Monitoring

This morning I am thinking about some of my aspirations and declarations over the past year.  While reading over some old journal writings, I began to reflect on the questions:  “Have I applied this?  Have I really grown and changed in these areas?”  In my work, we call this progress monitoring.  It’s a way of maintaining focus on important goals.  It holds us accountable for doing what we say we’re going to do.  And, if we realize we haven’t done what we said, progress monitoring reminds us to get back on track.  Some of the striking things I wrote, not quite one year ago, were:

“This morning I am thinking about how I have often bought into the well-intentioned but insufficient counsel of people, rather than truly trusting the wisdom of God. The result was that I would find myself "upside down"--owing much more (emotionally and spiritually) than the flawed counsel was worth. Now I will meditate on I Corinthians 2:5: "That your faith should not rest in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." #stillgrowing” 5/29/12

“This morning I am thinking about the time a student showed me a picture that had captured his attention. His voice was full of excitement and wonder as he said, "Look, Ms. Conage. It's an obstacle illusion!" I knew he meant "optical illusion," but I also recognized that he said exactly what I needed to hear that day. God's Word assures me that, by faith, even mountains will move. So I move forward with confidence that illusory barriers will dissipate, allowing me to see the manifestation of His favor, grace, and blessings.”  6/12/12

“This morning I am thinking about bullies--specifically, two formidable ones named Fear and Doubt. Many times they have threatened me, chased me, and beat me up. But today, when I heard them taunting, I resolved not to run...but to stand and face them. I realize that in running away and trying to "save myself", I remove myself from the very position where God will manifest a miracle. So, today I will stand still and watch Him do exceeding, abundantly above all I could ask or think. Amen.”  6/21/12

Looking back, I am amazed at the progress I have made.  What I find most ironic is that I my growth in each area was provoked by trials, disappointments, pain, and challenges of various kinds.  There were times when I would have counted myself out…done…a colossal failure.  There were times when I felt like I was regressing or, at best, just standing still.  But, I thank God for His grace!  I see that, in spite of it all, He has helped me to move forward with favor and purpose.  Moreover, He has brought me out with some “stuff”—more wisdom, more faith, and more joy.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment