Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Squeals of Delight

This morning I am thinking about the new behavior my four month old grandson, Princeton, exhibited when he spent the night last Friday.  I can best describe it as “squealing with delight.”  He had already started giving me a great big smile whenever he saw me, but on Friday he took his joy and excitement to a whole new level.  We had just finished our story time, and we were having one of our “talks,” when he started.  His little face lit up with a precious toothless grin, his arms and legs started to flail, and from his lungs escaped a shrill, “Eeeee!”  Both of my dogs, being startled from sleep by the unexpected sound, fled the room.  The dogs’ reaction made me chuckle and this, in turn, seemed to tickle Princeton all the more.  He gazed at me, grinning, and squealing emphatically, “Eeeee!”  I pulled my grandson close, shut my eyes, and just held him…feeling inexpressible love for him.  In that moment, I would have done anything in my power to keep him happy that way.  I believe this is how it is when I delight in the presence of my Father.  When I meditate on His goodness, mercy, and grace toward me I can’t help but break into a smile.  Then praise, thanksgiving, and adoration begin to pour out from the depths of my heart.  Sometimes it can be loud, and sometimes it startles (and perhaps annoys) those who may be nearby.  However, the reactions and opinions of others really don’t matter when my focus is on the One in Whom I delight.  And as I rejoice in Him, I can feel the indescribable embrace of His favor.  In those moments, I know that there is no good thing that He would withhold from me.  Right now, all I want to say to that is, “Eeeee!”

No comments:

Post a Comment