Saturday, January 12, 2013
Care To Make It Interesting?
I am thinking about something wonderful I experienced just yesterday. On my way to do a school visit, I felt a strong leading to take a specific amount of money from my wallet and place it into one of the pouches of my purse. So I did. I really wasn’t mindful of the cash throughout the course of a great conversation with the principal and his leadership team, but I would soon find out its purpose. As I was walking through the school’s office to leave, I saw a young family of five waiting to speak to the principal. The mother was holding one of two twin baby boys in her arms. The father was standing next to a stroller, in which the other twin was sitting. Their third child, a girl who appeared to be around thirteen years old, stood between both parents with her arms folded. I noticed that she was crying. As anyone who knows me is aware, when I see babies I feel compelled to hold, touch, kiss, or interact with them in some way. So, although I could sense that there was definitely some tension among the mom, dad, and daughter…and I had the feeling they were not at the school for a happy reason…I went right up and greeted them anyway. Mom introduced herself. The daughter wiped her eyes and tried to muster a polite smile. Dad initially just looked at me, almost defensively. After I started talking to the babies and commenting on how beautiful they were, he finally spoke up. He asked, “Well, do you have some Pamper money for them?” Without missing a beat, I said, “As a matter of fact, I do.” And I reached in my purse and handed Mom the money I had felt led to set aside. I do not exaggerate when I say that I was probably as surprised and excited as they were! It was a moment that I can best describe as mutual delight and wonder. I realize that could have been just another routine school visit, like so many others. But yesterday I was reminded that I have a choice. I can choose to be lulled into a state of apathy and complacency by always walking only to the beat of the routine and mundane. Or I can choose to open myself to God’s leading where He awakens my consciousness to limitless, glorious “surprises” that manifest His loving favor and grace. I could choose to settle for just the ordinary. But I hear an irresistible alternative speaking deep within my soul: “Miracles can happen, if you care to make it interesting.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment