Thursday, January 17, 2013

Let Me Explain

This morning I am thinking about an account I recently heard of a little girl who was walking on her parents’ waterbed with her shoes on.  Upon entering the bedroom and seeing what was happening, the girl’s mother asked sharply, “What are you doing?”  The little girl’s reply was, “I’m walking on the water like Jesus.”  Instantly, the mother’s reaction went from anger to the tender compassion that comes with understanding.  In a way, I think I’m a lot like that little girl.  To those looking on, some of my actions may look quite foolish…even reckless.  I know that my decisions and deeds are sometimes judged harshly by those who may remain silent on the matter in my presence, but who are openly critical in my absence.  But, oh how I wish they would just ask me, “What are you doing?”  How I wish they would just let me explain.  I would let them know that, in spite of how crazy or ridiculous it may look, I’m just trying to be like Jesus.  So, yes, I will continue to give to people who have no means (or desire) to ever repay me in any way.  Yes, I will continue to work hard and share ideas with people who will take all the credit.  I will continue to embrace love, laughter, and hope as I believe God for good in my life.  Perhaps this would provide some helpful insight.  But, even if others don’t “get me,” I take courage from knowing that my Father understands.         

No comments:

Post a Comment