Monday, December 24, 2012
The Day Before
This morning I am thinking about Christmas Eve. For many, today will be a time of intense preparation with last minute cleaning, cooking, shopping, and wrapping. Not surprisingly, there may also be some stress, frustration, and impatience. But all will be considered “worth it” for the hope of enjoying a beautiful, happy Christmas Day tomorrow. I find myself wondering now about the day before Jesus was born. What was Mary thinking and feeling? Presumably, she had travelled for quite some time on the back of a donkey. Had she been experiencing labor pains? Was she cold? Was she hungry? And, what of Joseph? Did he second guess if he’d heard right? Did he wonder if God would really lead him into a situation of such vulnerability that he could not even find lodging for his very pregnant wife? Whatever discomfort and uncertainty they may have felt, it touches me profoundly that they endured it. They had both been given a blessed promise, and they both believed. The promise that their Son would bring life, light, and liberation to the world made every temporary trial and inconvenience worth it. I have no doubt they rejoiced with immeasurable love and gratitude when the Child was born, and they were finally able to hold Him in their arms. Yet, it occurs to me that they had really already received Him and all that was promised the day before. This is the way I want to live. I understand that God is ever faithful and true to His Word. Therefore, I can wait with patience for the fulfillment of His promises to me. I may not know the exact “tomorrow” when I will be able to physically embrace my manifested promise. I do know, however, that I want to be found like Mary and Joseph…still believing, still trusting, and still following His leading the day before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment