Sunday, December 23, 2012

Minding My Busy-ness

This morning I am thinking about the gift I have of two weeks off for Christmas break.  I have certainly sat in this happy place before, anticipating how wonderful it would be taking time to rest, relax and recharge.  In the days leading up to the break, I would imagine indulging in some of the things I enjoy so much, but which too often get crowded out of my hectic days…like reading, sketching, taking a long drive, and taking an afternoon nap.  Yet, somehow I would always find myself facing the end of my precious time off, exhausted and wondering, “Where did the time go?”  So, this year I am purposefully minding my busy-ness.  I am substituting my usual “to do” list with a “we’ll see” list, to which activities may be added (or not) as the days unfold.  It has been a challenging year, and I’ve had my faith tried in ways I would never have guessed.  Although I am unmistakably victorious, the scars and weariness from spiritual and emotional battles are all too real for me.  I am praying and trusting God to restore my soul.  Last night, my heart and mind were quickened by an insight I had while doing the dishes.  The cycle of habitual holiday busy-ness is actually a form of distraction.  Left unchecked, it would keep me from receiving and enjoying the renewed strength and peace I so desperately need, through spending time in His presence…worshipping and waiting.  Deep inside, I sense that an integral part of my restoration will be the fulfillment of prayers and petitions I have been holding before Him.  Quite frankly, I don’t want to miss or delay any of His blessings because I was too busy to see and hear.  I will choose to be still and know that He is God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment