This morning I am thinking about my discovery that I have a pretty severe
shellfish allergy. The effect of
ingesting shellfish started out as relatively mild. It was just a slightly annoying itch. Barely noticeable. Over time, however, the reaction became more
dramatic. Specifically, it made my whole
mouth tingle, followed by swelling of my tongue and tightening of my
throat. Totally noticeable. Still, I tried to deny it. That is, up until the night I found myself
alone, having eaten only about two bites of shrimp-fried rice, unable to
swallow, my heart racing. It was only
then that I confronted myself with the sobering truth. I asked, “Seriously, is it worth your life?”
Upon learning of my shrimp allergy, one friend tried to
offer some hope. She said there might a way to gradually reintroduce shrimp back into my
diet by ingesting very small amounts at a time and increasing the amount
gradually. It sounded tempting, but I
declined. I know myself better than
that. I acknowledge that I am a
shrimp-a-holic, so I just have to go cold turkey. As much as I may still want to partake of a
delicious shrimp dinner every now and then, exercising wisdom and self-discipline
is now a matter of life or death.
Interestingly, I feel like an allergy of sorts has also started
to affect me mentally and emotionally. For
years, I was prone to devouring doubt, anxiety, and fear whenever and wherever
they were served. But, more and more
lately, I find that these things irritate me.
They swell my tongue with words that are contrary to love and
truth. They choke the joy and peace
right out of me. I have to be honest
with myself when tempted with the notion that I might somehow be able to indulge
in harmful, unproductive thoughts and behaviors in small, manageable
doses. The truth is, every little bit
hurts.
There are three important lessons I’ve gleaned over the past
two shrimp-less years. First, not
everything that’s good to me is good for me.
Secondly, there are some things I just have to let go, no matter how “tasty”
they may be. And finally, rather than
fixating on what I can’t have, I can
re-train my appetite to delight in the countless other things I can have. Does it require sacrifice? Indeed it does. Does it mean I sometimes have to sit by and
watch others indulge in things I cannot even touch? Absolutely.
But my prayer is to be an encouragement to others who find themselves at
a crossroads, needing to make tough changes but not quite believing it’s
possible. I want to tell the story—not just
with my lips but by example—that there is wholeness and healing beyond the
things that have proven only to kill, steal, and destroy. I want to be living proof that there is life
after shrimp.
No comments:
Post a Comment