Wednesday, August 21, 2013
What About Bubba?
This morning I am thinking about a story I heard a woman tell on the
radio yesterday. She shared an event from her
childhood, in which they experienced car trouble while out doing errands with
their mother one day. She said her mom
had no sooner pulled over to the side of the road, when they saw smoke and
flames emerging from under the hood. I
could vividly imagine it as she described the mom hurrying her two daughters
out of the vehicle. Holding hands, the
three made a mad dash to get a safe distance away. What she shared next caught me completely by
surprise. While they were running, her
sister suddenly asked, “What about Bubba?”
In their haste, they had taken off and left their baby brother in the
car! It turns out that the little boy
was retrieved without harm. In fact, she
wrapped up her story by saying, “We still tease him about that all the time.” I was so relieved that, in the end, they were
all okay. Now, I admit that I sometimes
find humor in the silliest things, but when she finished her story I started to
crack up. I laughed the rest of the way
to work, and I was still laughing as I walked into my office building. Throughout the day, I’d start to chuckle again
each time I thought of that sweet little voice asking, “What about Bubba?” As I’m sitting here now, the story is
speaking to me again, not so much in humor as in exhortation. Lately I have been profoundly aware of
certain conditions, mindsets, and habits in my life that I need to abandon very
quickly. I perceive how these things are
much like vehicles by which I have become accustomed to being carried,
sometimes for decades. Though they may
have served me well for a while, they are starting to show signs of breaking
down. It is quite evident that they are
no longer going to work for me. In fact,
they could cause me immeasurable harm if I don’t separate myself from them speedily. As I consider how I will apply this truth I
in my life, I hear the words: “Don’t
forget about Bubba.” I’m smiling because
I know exactly what this means. It means that I should be ever mindful of the priceless lessons and the precious
people who, over the years, have become a significant part of me. To put it another way, I should take heed not
to throw out the baby with the bath water.
I am deeply grateful for the special gifts of love and favor in my life
that are intended to remain, while more transitory things may fail or even burn
up. I make no pretenses. I’m not perfect. Even as I earnestly strive to do what I know
I’m called to do, I sometimes miss things that are really important. Yet, I believe that before I can ever go too far,
I will always hear a sweet Voice that jars me back to my senses. I will retrieve and reclaim all the good that
is meant for me. And, in the end, I know I will
be okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment