Monday, August 5, 2013
Too Good To NOT Be True
This morning I am thinking about a particular tidbit of conventional
wisdom I’ve heard and repeated so many times that I’ve taken it for granted, never
questioning or giving it critical consideration. It is the idea of something being too good to
be true. I am wondering when and how I
bought into the twisted notion that goodness and truth must somehow be mutually
exclusive. I’m intrigued as I
contemplate how, when, and why I came to internalize the assumption that if
something is really good, then it must not be true. (Or, I guess, conversely if it’s true, then
it must not be good.) I find myself
confronted here with a deeper, more compelling question though. Have I inadvertently convinced myself that if
something is really good, then maybe I’m not good enough to have it? Do I subconsciously fear that I am unworthy
of that which is extraordinary and wonderful?
As I expose my heart to the scrutiny of this interrogation, I am being
made aware of an underlying, subtle deception within. It camouflages itself in the commonsensical. It speaks to my logical mind, putting forth a
strong case based on facts and evidence that are, ironically, produced by
deception itself. Certainly, I have
experienced relationships and other endeavors that initially seemed so positive
and full of promise, but later turned out to be not so great. And I would say to myself, “I should have
known it was too good to be true.” In
retrospect, I wish I had been able to discern that the issue wasn’t really a
matter of something being too good to be true.
In reality, I sometimes just latched onto things that weren’t truly
good…at least not for me. I can see how,
over time, I allowed deception to sweet talk me with its bitterness: “Be reasonable. You’re nobody’s fool. You are a smart woman. This can’t really be what it seems. It’s too simple. It’s too soon. It’s too much. It’s too perfect.” The more I entertained its arguments, the
more deception wrapped itself around my mind like a blindfold. And it spoke to my vulnerabilities and fears,
saying, “Don’t trust it. It’s too risky. Play it safe.
Don’t move.” I can’t imagine how
many gifts I’ve forfeited or how many open doors I’ve walked past, having my
mind veiled by a cloak of unbelief. But I am so grateful today for understanding
and enlightenment! God is good AND God
is truth. There is no schism. There is no either-or. And, so it is with the gifts He delights
to give me as His child. They are good
AND they are true. Each day I pray for
the wisdom and grace to perceive, embrace, and enjoy all the amazing and
beautiful things God wants me to know, be, do, and have. So, I resolve to give thanks for His love and
favor toward me. I will keep my eyes and
heart open for the love, friendships, opportunities, adventures, new beginnings, second chances and
countless other blessings from His hand that are too good to NOT be true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment