Thursday, August 15, 2013
Can't Believe My Eyes
This morning I am thinking about a recent visit to the bank. As I was on my way out, I saw that the door
had a rather prominent handle on it. My
arm was already extended so I could grab the handle and pull, when I noticed
the word written on the door: “Push.” I
seriously had to stop for a few seconds, while my mind processed this
contradiction. My inclination was to
just go ahead and pull. I mean, why
would there be a handle on a door that was meant to be pushed open? Then I remembered that I’d had to pull the
door open to come inside the bank. So it
became logical that I’d have to push to get out, despite what that perplexing
handle suggested. Had I chosen to stand
there and pull, I would have caused myself to remain stuck inside and, quite
frankly, looking a bit foolish. So it
often is with the choices I face in life.
Sometimes, what I can see with my eyes tells me that I should take a
specific course of action or make certain commitments. By all indications, in a given moment it just
makes sense…to either say “yes” or to say “no thanks”…to either give up or keep
trying…to either speak my heart or to hold my peace…to either move on or to
wait. However, I have learned (and, I am
learning) that it’s always best to look for a Word and make my decisions based
on that. There have been many times when
my eyes deceived me. Everything I could
see clearly said: “You are weak,” or “You can’t do that,” or “You have messed
up too many times.” Yet, what I could
see with my natural eyes was challenged by the Word, which said: “You are
strong,” and “You can do all things,” and “You are forgiven.” Invariably, when I’ve made choices based only
on what I could perceive outwardly, I rendered myself stuck in some unproductive and
unfavorable places…and, quite frankly, looking a bit foolish. It seems I would have learned by now that I
can’t always believe my eyes. I guess
this is one example of what it means to “walk by faith, and not by sight.” I am thankful for this sweet reminder today,
that I need not be made hostage by the dictates of my physical perceptions. I know that, when I choose to go with what
the Word says—even when it feels confusing and doesn’t seem to make sense—I will
find myself enjoying the freedom of moving purposefully forward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment