Monday, June 24, 2013
Someone To Dance With Me
This morning I am thinking about what a great time I had listening to
live jazz on Saturday night. The band
was incredibly good, with an almost palpable energy and connectedness between
and among the musicians. Their captivating
rhythms enticed one couple after another out of their chairs and onto the dance
floor. Honestly, there weren’t exactly
any contenders for Dancing with the Stars.
One couple moved as if they were listening to songs that were just a
half beat off what everyone else was hearing.
Another couple moved rather stiffly, like two mannequins that had
suddenly come to life. Yet the only
thing that seemed to matter to them was that they were dancing together. I sat and watched all of the couples
twisting, turning, smiling, and holding each other. And I allowed myself to embrace a vision of
how awesome it would be to have someone to dance with me. Today my thoughts have taken me beyond the
sights, sounds, and limited space of the room in which I was seated on Saturday
to a much larger venue. The metaphorical
dance floor I envision is the wonderful life of love I desire. The scene playing out in my head is one in
which my partner finds me here, waiting.
As we speak to one another, it is clear that we are both hearing the
same song…the same melody. So we dance
together, our eyes fixed on one another.
We both know that from now on
there will be no more switching partners.
To some looking on, we appear a bit odd, somewhat out of step with those
around us. But it doesn’t matter because
we know that together we are made for more than mere conformity. We are masterfully choreographed and
synchronized, each complementing the moves of the other. Twisting, turning, smiling, and holding each
other, we dance to a soundtrack uniquely written, arranged, and directed by our
Creator, just for us. This morning, one special
prayer of my heart begins where this beautiful daydream ends. I will go forth with a soundtrack in my
spirit, listening for the one who hears, ready to begin the dance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment