Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Daddy, Lifter of the Fallen
I
am thinking about two occasions when I fell…hard…and my daddy was there to
comfort and take care of me. One time we
were hanging out in the yard together, just talking and laughing, when a neighbor
came up to the fence to talk to him. I
was not at all pleased with this intrusion.
So, I headed for the grapefruit tree and started to climb. My intended strategy was to demonstrate my
exceptional skill of upside down, hanging-by-the-legs, branch swinging. This, I figured, would amaze our neighbor,
who was facing me. Then he would alert
my dad (whose back was to me) to turn and focus his attention on my
wonderfulness. I had successfully
positioned myself and started to get my rhythm.
Back and forth, back and forth.
Suddenly, there was a loud crack!
I hit the ground with a thud, flat on my back. I was utterly embarrassed, but at least the
neighbor went away. Another time, I was
standing on a seawall while my dad waded in the water below with his crab
net. I could have just sat and enjoyed
the view, but I wanted to be close to him.
As he moved more and more to the left, I felt compelled to get up and walk
down to be a bit nearer. Once he had
secured a nice catch, he started making his way back to the right…back to the
metal tub in which he would unload the crabs.
Of course, I got up and started walking back to the right as well. I don’t recall if I was looking at my dad or
if I became distracted by his net, full of crabs. Whatever the case, I wasn’t watching where I
was going and I walked right off the wall.
Again, I hit the ground…this time with a splash, on my hands and
knees. Again, I was utterly embarrassed,
but at least I was closer to my dad.
What I vividly remember about both of those instances was how, in an
instant, my dad was at my side lifting me up into his big, strong arms. Despite any scratches, bumps, and bruises, I
believed I would be okay because he was holding me. Lord knows I’ve fallen lots of times since then. I’ve fallen on tough times, fallen in love, and fallen out of favor…hard. Lord knows I’ve borne some emotional
scratches, bumps, and bruises too, including some real shiners. It’s truly amazing, though, that there remains
a shield around me that keeps me from being utterly broken and destroyed whenever I fall. Sometimes it’s utterly
embarrassing, but at least I’ve come to truly know God’s grace. I’m thankful for how my heavenly Father lifts me
up in His strong, everlasting arms. And
I know I will be okay because He is holding me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment