Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Daddy, The Man Who Loved Mom
This morning I am thinking about how greatly my notion of a desirable relationship,
romance, and marriage are shaped by the template of my dad’s love for my
mom. I remember how he would bring her
beautiful, red roses. Usually it was for
their wedding anniversary, but at other times it was just because. He would also give her the sweetest cards
that made her smile. I remember how occasionally
he’d take her…only the two of them…to get away from us six kids. They’d go out for a nice, quiet dinner or for
a long drive together. I remember how
much they really seemed to like each other.
Sometimes dad would get home from work first, and other times mom
would. But, oh how they each perked up
and lit up at the arrival of the other! I
remember how he looked at her, held her, and treated her with such tenderness
and affection. My favorite thing to
remember is how I’d lay in bed some nights and hear them talking and laughing
in their room…like amicable partners, like faithful companions, like best
friends. I realize how nostalgia can
dramatically enhance the images of the mind over time, so one day I asked my
mom to talk to me about dad. Her
reaction and her words just melted me and let me know that my recollections
were pretty accurate. It’s hard to
describe, but as she spoke it was as if she became young again. She described him as protective and funny and
kind. What stands out most in my mind is
how she said, “He loved me.” In my
present season of singleness, this is the picture I carry around in my heart: a man who is thoughtful, affectionate,
protective, funny, and kind; a man who perks up and lights up when he sees me;
a man who will be my trusted and intimate friend; a man of whom I can say, “He
loves me.” There’s a saying I’ve heard
that speaks to a woman’s tendency to seek in a man that which she knows
well. The saying is, “We marry our
fathers.” For me, that would be a
blessing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment