Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pot Roast And Orange Soda

This morning I am thinking about the night my Grandma Elsie passed away.  I had gone directly from work to see her at the hospital and to relieve my mom and sisters, who had been there most of the day.  Upon entering the room, I found them trying to coax her to eat a bit of Jell-O or drink some of her juice.  She was stubbornly refusing both.  When she saw me, she entreated, “Could you please bring me an orange soda?”  I walked to her bedside and reminded her, “Grandma, the doctor said you can’t have orange soda.  But, you can have some juice.”  Holding the cup of juice with one hand, I turned the little straw toward her mouth with the other.  She leaned forward and started to sip.  I kissed her on the forehead, rubbed her hair, and told her she was doing a good job. 

Once the two of us were alone, she dozed off and slept for a while.  When she awoke, she smiled and addressed me by my nickname.  “Chet, could you please bring me an orange soda?”  I answered with a question. “Do you want some more juice?”  She just stared at me, silent for a moment.  Then, she said, “Thank you so much for the dinner.  Tell your husband the pot roast was delicious.”  Supposing that she was confusing me with one of my sisters, I said, “Grandma, I’m Chet.”  With a tone of indignation, she said, “I know who you are!”  I started to say, “I don’t have a husband.”  But something told me, “Don’t say that.  Just listen.”  She went on.  “I’ve had a lovely time, but I really must go now.  Could you please call me a cab?”  I wasn’t at all sure what to say to that, but she continued.  “I have to go.  Your grandfather will be looking for me.  Could you please call me a cab?  I really must go.” 
From there, she became increasingly agitated.  I prayed as I sat next to her, holding her hand and listening, until finally, mercifully she dozed off once again.  Not even two hours later, she passed away peacefully.  As I recall those last moments with my Grandma Elsie, I am convinced that she saw her future, joining my Grandpa Johnny in heaven.  This makes me smile.  I wonder if she saw my future, too...with a husband who makes an awesome pot roast!  That possibility makes me smile as well.  In any case, I hope that somehow she got to enjoy a giant glass of orange soda that night as she was welcomed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment