Monday, May 20, 2013

Laughing It Off

This morning I am thinking about the healing power of laughter...especially a good laugh at myself.  I experience this every time I recall or share my airport restroom story.  I was on my way home after spending a week in Hawaii.  I’m really not a fan of those cramped, little airplane lavatories.  I find that the motion makes it exceptionally challenging for me to do my public restroom safety squat.  So, I opted to just “hold it” for the five and a half hour long flight from Kona to Los Angeles.  That was not a very wise decision.  As soon as I was able to un-board the plane, I rushed to the nearest ladies’ room.  Once inside a stall, I hurriedly hung my purse and carry-on bag on the convenient hook, closed the door, unzipped, and took a squat.  I closed my eyes and literally breathed a sigh of relief.  “Aaaaah!”  When I opened my eyes, I was more than a bit shocked to see that the door of the stall had swung open!  Other travelers were passing my stall, eyeing me curiously.  With leg and thigh strength I didn’t realize I had, I quickly leaned forward and grabbed the door to pull it shut.  I got myself together, and I stood there for a moment wondering if and when it would be safe to go out.  I wanted to wait until all potential witnesses were gone.  As I stood there, I started laughing.  I laughed and laughed, all through the airport, all the way to my connecting flight.  I laughed until I could barely see, or stand, or speak.  And it felt so good!  The wellness guru who works in my office says laughter releases certain chemicals in the brain that create a sense of well-being.  For me, laughter releases something even more important.  It releases ME.  It frees me from the ridiculous, burdensome notion that I am in control…that if I plan well enough or try hard enough, I can make things work out just right.  If I’m not careful, this illusory conception can weigh me down like a merciless ball and chain.  So, every now and then I have to remind myself that life is not perfect and that I am not perfect, no matter how hard I strive.  But I’ve learned one important thing:  It’s in my imperfections that grace lives.  This causes my soul to rejoice, and I am restored to a place of strength and liberation each time I simply allow myself to laugh it off.                

No comments:

Post a Comment