Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Crazy
This morning I am thinking about the man I encountered while I was stopped
at a red light one day this week. It
might be more accurate to say that we encountered each other. He was about 20 feet away when I first noticed
him there on the sidewalk to my left. In
odd defiance of the blazing afternoon sun, he was donned in a red knit cap and
a green and black, long sleeved flannel shirt.
He was standing, almost posing, with one hand on his hip. In the other hand, he was wielding a banana
as if it were a gun. And he was cussing
up a storm. I was saying to myself, “Oh
boy. He’s crazy!” Then he turned and looked directly at me. It was a strange and awkward moment when the
two of us made eye contact…when I knew that he saw me seeing him. Ordinarily, I would have just looked
away. Ordinarily, I would have been
thinking, “If I look away, then he’ll go away.”
But, for whatever reason, this time I didn’t look away. Perhaps that is why he started walking toward
my car. When he was about 10 feet away,
I wondered if he would just cross the street in front of me. After all, he had the green light. When he was about 8 feet away, I realized he
was actually, intentionally approaching me!
Still cussing. When he was about
5 feet away, I thought about what I might say if he came any closer. At 2 feet, it came to me what I would say to
him. I would say, “Hi.” But, then, he suddenly stopped. He turned his body, as well as his gaze, and started to walk away. He gave me
a quick glance over his shoulder, as he departed. As I drove slowly through the green light, I
tried to imagine what he might have done had he come any closer. Maybe flashed me. Maybe just cussed me out. Maybe smacked me with the banana. I began rehearsing an old platitude in my
head: “That might be someone’s father or
brother or husband.” But then it
occurred to me that, even if he was none of those things to anybody, he was
still somebody. He was somebody with a
mind (however broken), a life, and a story.
He was somebody to whom I could choose to show compassion and respect rather than
judgment. As I sit here today I believe
we were both stationed at that exact intersection, at that exact time, because
he was somebody who needed to know that someone else sees. Call me crazy, but I’m really glad it was me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment