Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Unequivocal Praise


This morning I am thinking about a joke my dad used to love to tell.  It was about a woman whose son had just been saved from drowning.  Holding the young child in her arms, she approaches a lifeguard and asks, “Are you the man who saved my son from drowning?”  The lifeguard replies, “Why, yes ma’am, I am.”  With indignation, the woman asks, “Well, where’s his hat?”  I am taking an honest assessment of myself and reflecting on how I am sometimes like the woman in that joke.  I realize I have so many blessings for which to be thankful.  Time and time again, God showers me with manifold manifestations of His love, mercy, grace, and favor.  Oh, sure I am diligent to at least say, “Lord, thank You.”  Yet, I must admit I have been guilty of lifting one hand in praise, while at the same time holding the other hand out for something else…something more.  Trust me when I tell you that, on more than one occasion, I’ve found myself flailing helplessly and sinking rapidly in floods of sorrow, pain, confusion, and ignorance.  But each time, a strong Hand of grace has lifted me up to save me from completely drowning.  Today, I just want to offer up pure, unequivocal thanksgiving and praise; not the kind that is conditional or linked to some ulterior motive.  Today, I want to go forth with both hands up, asking nothing, just saying, “Thank You!  Thank You!”        

No comments:

Post a Comment